Tuesday, July 31, 2012

We're Going on a Treasure Hunt (At Target)




We’re going on a treasure hunt




We’re going on a treasure hunt 
Going to get some fancy ones
We’re not scared!

Uh oh! a cave 
a sparkly shiny treasure cave
We can’t go over it we can’t go under it
Oh no we have to go through it
tip toe tip toe tip toe


I was singing that song in Target today.  I walked into the store, and the dollar bins starting yelling at me.  They were begging for me to dig through them.  "Toilet paper, toilet paper, toilet paper," I said to myself repeatedly.  I mean that's the real reason I stopped into the store. I just needed toilet paper and maybe a new eyeshadow.  I quickly tried to walk past them.  I stared straight ahead and booked it. But really, what's the harm in just looking through the bins?  I don't have to buy anything.  Isn't that funny?  We are teachers, and we can't pass up a dollar deal.

This is my parents storage room in their house.  This is four years worth of third grade classroom stuff. The bins are stacked as high as my hips. Do you think I need more dollar bin stuff?





I'm glad I stopped at the dollar bins, because I found some treasures. The first are these amazing word strips which are dry erase.  My dry erase boards are pretty large and can sometimes be awkward to get out.  I love them and use them all the time, but if we are practicing writing sentences, we don't need an entire board.  These word strips will be just perfect!  They are 4 for a $1.00.





The second gem I found were these sticky notes.  I bought two packs.  I wanted to buy more but after digging and basically emptying the bin, I found out there weren't any more. Imagine everything you could use them for.  Ask the students to write a thought about characters, setting, plot, and theme.  Have them write their opinion about a topic in Science or Social Studies.  They can wear their thought on their shirt and others can respond.  You can make a "parking lot" and have the students park their thoughts there.  There are so many options!  



I am extremely proud of myself because that's all I bought today!  Just these little treasures...............whoops, I knew it.....I forgot the toilet paper. The dollar bins have won again!


5 comments:

  1. Great finds! Have you checked out Walmart's back to school section? They have some REALLY good deals there as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't been to Wal-mart yet, but now Im heading there! Thanks so much! What have you found that was great?

      Delete
  2. I love the sticky notes...endless possibilities.

    I am your newest follower! First Fb, now blog :)

    Patti
    One Class, One Sound

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sticky notes are great! Do you have a favorite way to use them?

      Thanks for following! I'm heading to your blog now!

      Delete
  3. I just found small metal pails with a chalkboard square painted on the front for labels!$1!!!

    ReplyDelete